Santa Monica Airport ArtWalk 2019
If you are looking for a beautiful way to spend your Saturday, head on down to the Santa Monica Airport and enjoy the ArtWalk. It’s this Saturday, March 23, 2019 from Noon to 5:00 PM.
We have worked with a number of the artists and people at the Santa Monica Art Studios over the last couple of years and we can’t encourage you to attend this ArtWalk enough. As I said in the first sentence, it’s a beautiful way to spend your Saturday. You’re surrounded by the beauty of both the art and the Santa Monica Airport which is a great place to just go and hang out and take in the space around you. The artists are among the most talented artists in the world and all f the people associated with the studios are people you will want to get to know
There is a bike valet, shuttle and parking. Admission is free, but it would be nice if in addition to admiring the work of the artists you also bought some of their art!
The Airport has a rich history as the oldest airport in Los Angeles County, the former home of the Douglas Aircraft Company and the birthplace of the DC-3. It’s now home to over 60 artists and a number of creative venues. The Santa Monica Airport ArtWalk features the work of the artists that work within the Santa Monica Airport art facilities.
The ArtWalk is a fun-filled day of artistic exploration, live music, food, art demonstrations, theatre workshops and within this creative campus. Attendees are invited to watch art and ceramic demonstrations, participate in art and theater workshops, and enjoy live music and food trucks.
Be sure to take the time to go inside the Santa Monica Art Studios and the other facilities listed below and meet the artists in person. A partial list of things to do is below. Click here for a full list of artists and events with their times and locations.
Art, Exhibits & Demonstrations
- Santa Monica Art Studios, is one of the airport’s largest hangars that has been converted into artist studios. Meet the artists and discover a variety of mediums and styles including painting, sculpture, ceramics, and mixed media.
- ARENA 1 Gallery features the opening reception for the group exhibit Tra 2. Mari/Between 2 Seas: Where SouthernCalifornia meets Southern Italy, which focuses on how artists from different countries give shape to their heterogeneous creative reality.
- Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts students will demonstrate a range of techniques including wheel throwing, hand formed sculpture, and Raku firing. An exhibit of work will be on display as will the popular sale of student artwork.
- The Museum of Flying features a collection of the many artifacts related to the Douglas Aircraft Company, a variety of exhibits, aviation art, and an array of aircraft from a Wright Flyer replica to aircraft of the jet age.
Theatre, Music, Workshops, & More
- Highlights of The Ruskin Group Theatre’s popular monthly offering L.A. Café Plays.
- Los Angeles-based artist collective Subsuelo will be spinning family-friendly tunes featuring old-school tropical music and flamenco/hip-hop fusion that will keep you moving throughout the day.
- The all-female mariachi group Las Colibrí, or “The Hummingbirds”, will be performing throughout the airport.
- The unique store Pilot Outfitters features gifts, art, historic items and multiple fun selfie ops.
- Ruby Gara (16) will demonstrate her watercolor technique, answer questions and lead a watercolor workshop along with her mother Kristen Gara.
For the kids there will be a collaborative sculpture with Santa Monica College Ceramic Arts, theatre improv workshops with the Ruskin Group Theatre, an ArtWalk Stamp Hunt (think Easter egg hunt come early), and more.
At least six well known food trucks will be serving the ArtWalk. You can also eat in the Spirfire Grill. Bring your own water bottle and you can fill up at water stations throughout the day. It is requested that you leave your dogs at home or have someone else in your party that can watch your dog while you are inside the various studios. While dogs are allowed at the airport, they are discouraged in the studios due to tight spaces and fragile artworks!
To get a better feel of the Santa Monica Art Studios and the artists and activities there see:
Our interview and video with artist Gwen Samuels
Our video of the prestigious American Photographic Artists exhibit during Month of Photography Los Angeles.
Our video of the group fine art photography exhibit Construction during Month of Photography Los Angeles
More photos, information and event address below the break…
For more information about the 2019 ArtWalk, visit smgov.net/airportartwalk.
Santa Monica Airport
along Airport Avenue between
Bundy Drive & 23rd Street